Zooropa
Tuesday Robyn, Stanley, Marnie, Chloe and I headed to the zoo. The weather was gorgeous--I didn't even wear a coat. In fact, the kids didn't either (JUST KIDDING!). I invited Marnie along with her little girl Chloe, friends from our birth class. We arrived around noon, with almost nobody to compete with for view spots. The folks that were there looked a lot like us: stroller, digital cameras, little ones and white wintry-pale skin. I was going to take the kidlettes up to Park City, but on Monday night the idea came to me to head to the Hogle Zoo. ., so off we went.
On entering I felt pretty good about myself; I am still getting the whole twins attention thing. The first animals we spied were turkeys and a rooster; this rooster followed us all day long. We then went into the tropical gardens. The air felt cleaner, warmer and more alive. They are getting ready to fill the greenhouse with butterflies in late May. We met a very beautiful Red-tailed Boa and its master. She really was a pretty snake. The way her cheeks poked out and her tongue flicked was gorgeous. Being in the gardens felt like a little piece of paradise.
The elephants and rhinos are summering elsewhere, so we headed past some smelly monkeys and headed into the exhibit of small animals and climates. The bugs are grossly fascinating; the black widow was seriously the worst of them all. Never want to meet one. The indoor birdery was neat: iguana man, the rooster, parrots, scarlet ibis, Lewis the Trumpeter Swan. I hoped the kids could hear all of the birds chirp-chirping.
The first animal they actually spied was the Cotton-topped Tamerin. I think that they could focus on the giraffes too. The giraffes were awesome; it was feeding time and the animals silently glided into the holding area and nibbled on veggies. Giraffes are so kind and beautiful.
Robyn and Stan held on for a good two hours. When I got out to the car I realized I had left my lights on and we had a dead battery. I read the owner's manual (Ernie would be so proud of me!) and we got a jump. Red is positive, black negative, everyone. The kids were great. I hope they felt something there. They have so much in common with the animals. They are a little trapped, one by bodies, the other by environment. They both have smell issues occasionally, eat unabashedly, get lonely and don't like the glass tapped. They are all pure, honest and hungry. Both groups live in Utah but probably miss their homes, earthly and heavenly.
Tuesday night was a little hard for Stan. He cried quite a bit, but his cries are not the piercing-blow your drums that Robyn can muster; his are more little sobs on a replay track. He ate really well last night and at 7 p.m. was down for the count until 7 a.m. Monday night we ate with Alan and Shannon and took Stanley by his house where he immediately conked out and we ate popcorn (Thanks Scott and Julie!).
Today I think we are headed to Temple Square after an aerobics class. I think we are going to really miss the little guy.
On entering I felt pretty good about myself; I am still getting the whole twins attention thing. The first animals we spied were turkeys and a rooster; this rooster followed us all day long. We then went into the tropical gardens. The air felt cleaner, warmer and more alive. They are getting ready to fill the greenhouse with butterflies in late May. We met a very beautiful Red-tailed Boa and its master. She really was a pretty snake. The way her cheeks poked out and her tongue flicked was gorgeous. Being in the gardens felt like a little piece of paradise.
The elephants and rhinos are summering elsewhere, so we headed past some smelly monkeys and headed into the exhibit of small animals and climates. The bugs are grossly fascinating; the black widow was seriously the worst of them all. Never want to meet one. The indoor birdery was neat: iguana man, the rooster, parrots, scarlet ibis, Lewis the Trumpeter Swan. I hoped the kids could hear all of the birds chirp-chirping.
The first animal they actually spied was the Cotton-topped Tamerin. I think that they could focus on the giraffes too. The giraffes were awesome; it was feeding time and the animals silently glided into the holding area and nibbled on veggies. Giraffes are so kind and beautiful.
Robyn and Stan held on for a good two hours. When I got out to the car I realized I had left my lights on and we had a dead battery. I read the owner's manual (Ernie would be so proud of me!) and we got a jump. Red is positive, black negative, everyone. The kids were great. I hope they felt something there. They have so much in common with the animals. They are a little trapped, one by bodies, the other by environment. They both have smell issues occasionally, eat unabashedly, get lonely and don't like the glass tapped. They are all pure, honest and hungry. Both groups live in Utah but probably miss their homes, earthly and heavenly.
Tuesday night was a little hard for Stan. He cried quite a bit, but his cries are not the piercing-blow your drums that Robyn can muster; his are more little sobs on a replay track. He ate really well last night and at 7 p.m. was down for the count until 7 a.m. Monday night we ate with Alan and Shannon and took Stanley by his house where he immediately conked out and we ate popcorn (Thanks Scott and Julie!).
Today I think we are headed to Temple Square after an aerobics class. I think we are going to really miss the little guy.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home